Vintage Girl Scout Online Museum


Girl Scout Identification Strips

According to the Girl Scout Collector's Guide  location identification on Girl Scout uniforms was first approved by GSUSA in 1921. It was to be black with buff embroidery and worn on the upper right sleeve. It would list the troop's city, number and affiliation. It was up to the troop to have the strip made. This is another example of how closely the Girl Scout program in America followed the Girl Guide program in the United Kingdom. Girl Guiding has long used ribbons with similar information on their uniforms.

Identification Strip at the top of the sleeve
GSUSA offered pre-made city or area identification strips starting in 1933 on grey-green fabric, embroidered with green silk thread, then on silver green and then bright medium green. Council names were introduced in 1957.


Grey Green


1938-1948 City Identification Strip

Silver Green

1948-1957 City Identification Strip
Bright Medium Green

an early Council Name on bright medium green.

Image donated by Robert Rodgers


1957-1979 Council Identification Strip


1980-Current Council Identification Strip for Junior, Cadettes & Senior Uniform

1980-Current Brownie Council Identification Strip

1958-1960 Mariner Girl Scout



1958-1980 Brownie Girl Scout worn above or later, sewn on the breast pocket.


1958-1960 Intermediate, Senior &

Adult on Bright Medium Green Fabric

1961-1980 Intermediate until 1963, Junior until 1980, Adult until 1968

1963-1980 Cadette, until 1971 for Seniors


1971-1980 Senior Girl Scout


1980-Current Junior, Cadette, Senior


1980-Current Brownie Girl Scout

Juliette patch