Girl Scout Badges - Grey-green
1928 was a year of change in Girl Scouting. The familiar khaki uniform was replaced by the newly restyled, updated green uniform. Although considered green, the fabric was actually a mix of white and greyish threads, creating a grey-green color.
As stock of khaki badges were sold out, new badges were produced on the same grey-green fabric. Originally the badges were on squares of fabric, to be trimmed in tucked when stitched to the sleeve or the newly launched badge sash. Later the badges were cut round with the excess fabric still needing to be tucked under.
As always, badge requirements and designs were constantly updated to meet the needs of Girl Scouts. In 1935 the newer silver-green fabric was introduced for badges, so popular badges may be found in the new fabric prior to the 1939 launch of the new uniform.
The border color for grey-green badges is green, however some badges were bordered with an olive green thread.
At first badges were on squares of fabric. Girl Scouts could stitch them their sleeve as squares or they could trim them to circles. Later, the badges were produced as round, with the Girl Scouts expected to trim and tuck.
Traditionally, the left sleeve of a Girl Scout uniform carried different badges than the right sleeve.
This example of a left sleeve of a Girl Scout uniform contains the Scholarship (top), Child Nurse (left), Home Nurse(middle) and First Aid (right).
The Scholarship badge could be earned yearly; red ring 2nd year, white ring 3rd year, blue ring 4th yer.
It also includes a silver ribbon, called a Service Stripe, indicating 5 years in Girl Scouting.
Print image of Business Woman badge showing a stenographer's pad with "Be Prepared" written in shorthand.
Some sources note that this badge was discontinued in 1927 and re-introduced in 1930. However, the GS catalogs continued to carry the badge and even note the name change.