Community Service Pin
During World War 1 Girl Scouting started a service project asking Girl Scouts to give some serious community service. Girl Scouts were required to keep track of their service hours or achievements. As a recognition of having fulfilled the requirements, Girl Scouts were awarded a 3/4" pin called the War Service Award.
After World War I ended, Girl Scouting brought back the popular service pin program, changing the name to Community Service program. The Community Service Pin program lasted from 1922-1931, encouraging girls to give useful service in their local community.
There are 3 known versions of the Girl Scout Community Service pin:
Left is thought to be the oldest, with it's darker green background the same rounded trefoil top as the War Service Pin.
Middle is rare, being medium green with a concave trefoil top.
Right is common, and thought to be the newest. Lighter green with a concave trefoil top.
The first mention of the Community Service Pin was in newspapers was in May of 1922, and slowly after that it became more frequent. The specific requirements varied from area to area. Some were required to earn 3 points, other areas called for 150 hours of service, done in the span in 1 year. Using old newspapers as a source, it seems that 3 points would work out to about 150 hours (1/2 point equal to 25 hours) - so, they may have had different methods to get there but they were doing the same, or very similar work.
This clipping from 1924 gives a good sample of things a Girl Scout could do to earn 3 points:
The above list is only an example. Other examples were more detailed, including such things as raising a pig for six months, preserve 25 lbs. of vegetables by salting, 30 hours of service with the Woman's Land Army, gathering and storing 5 bushels of nuts, 50 hours of teaching English to foreign women or girls - attested by the America First Committee.
It wasn't required that a Girl Scout use the Community Service Booklet. Many newspapers noted different ways to keep track, but Girl Scouting did offer an inexpensive booklet:
Community Service Pins were often held until the Court of Awards Ceremonies, being handed out then and noted in the local newspapers. Girls who continued to serve would earn ribbons to indicate the numbers of hours given. A 1925 Birmingham, AL newspaper gave this list:
4 points = blue ribbon
5 points = white ribbon
6 points = red, white and blue ribbon
7 points = silver ribbon
8 points = gold ribbon
The Community Service Pin and booklet were dropped
from the catalog in the Spring of 1930 issue. However,
the pin continued to be earned through 1931.
With World War II Girl Scouting revised and modified the Community Service pin with the Service Bureau Pin:
1928 Girl Scout Catalog image