top of page
S.S. Juliette Low
Launched on May 12, 1944, the S.S. Juliette Low was a class of Liberty Ships. Her hull number was 2446. After her shake-down cruise she sailed the Atlantic, Mediterranean, areas of North Africa and the Pacific. Her first captain was Captain O'Toole.
In a letter to the Girl Scouts, Captain O'Toole remarked that when at port they would fly the WAGGGS World Flag. Girl Scouts and Girl Guides would come down to see the ship. If there was time, they would be invited on the ship for tour and a snack from the galley.
The S.S. Juliette Low ended her service as a cargo ship in the Merchant Marines on March 28, 1948. She was in service to a reserve fleet until she was needed again, to haul grain to famine-torn Europe. She then again entered into reserve fleet status. In 1972 she was salvaged and dismantled.
As of 4/22, the Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum in Savannah has a model of the Juliette Low in their collection. According to the director, they even have some of the wrapping used to cover the champagne bottle from the christening of the ship! Next time you're in Savannah, spend an afternoon at the museum, exploring their beautiful displays and
FIND THE JULIETTE LOW!
bottom of page